The little bits and pieces of my internal life.

From the Mosaic
Sunday, May 02, 2004
Professional Representation

Apologies for the very long delay between posts. My life has gone through a fair bit of upheaval, which I'll share since it will segue nicely into today's topic.

I just quit my job; my last day was Friday. For the first time in my life, I'm leaving a job where everyone, co-workers and management alike, was sorry to see me go. It was surprisingly hard to leave, considering that my reasons for doing so were so sensible (the new job is just, well, better -- not as interesting, perhaps, but better). Of course, there is a management style consisting of pretending to be someone's at least pseudo-friend and then, inevitably, letting them down because it's a business relationship rather than a friendship. But my boss at my old company was either suckered into believing his own propaganda or (more likely, since he's not much of an actor) is that rarity, the Genuinely Nice Guy who really *is* trying to be your friend. He didn't do a bad job either, considering that the boss-employee relationship, at least when I'm involved, has a low tolerance for the sort of honesty that characterizes actual friendship.

The only difficulty I've had with this entire process has been maintaining the appropriate professional detachment. I was saddened to finally leave, even though I'd been looking off and on during my entire tenure. That's harmless in itself, but the behavior is more insidious. I tend to fall into the trap of treating my company and its needs as if it were on the basis of friendship, and that's entirely inappropriate. No company worth its salt (excepting, perhaps, small family-owned businesses) is treating its employees as friends. If the underlying financials dictate layoffs, the company will let you go, dispassionately (for the most part), regardless of the great times you've had together.

This is probably obvious to everyone but me, but I have nothing to lose from doing the right thing, keeping professional detachment. My boss won't hate me; my co-workers won't tease me at recess and call me names. To be sure, one doesn't want to go the other way into shortsighted selfishness, but that's an unlikely outcome for me in any case.

It's the company's job to be an advocate for its needs. But it's my own job to be an advocate for mine.
 


<< Home
Contact Me
noramsey@gmail.com
See my profile

Favorite Links
Unstructured Musings
Lost in Transmission
Existential Harmonics
Rob Berry
Slate
Andrew Sullivan

Archives
  • April 2004
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • April 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • January 2006
  • March 2006
  • May 2006
  • July 2007


  • Index of Current Titles

    Professional Representation

    Powered by Blogger